Job Summary: Manager, Anatomic Pathology
The Manager of Anatomic Pathology is responsible for the overall operational activities associated with Reading Hospital's Histopathology and Cytopathology Services.
The Manager will be responsible for daily management of specimen preparation and testing associated with tissue and body fluids submitted for diagnostic testing under those disciplines.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages daily operation of activities associated with Histology and Cytology sections of the laboratory.
- Ensures superior customer service and timely service recovery when appropriate and develop metrics to determine levels of service and areas for performance improvement.
- Ensures prompt delivery of high quality histologically and cytologically prepared slides and stains. Collaborates with pathologists to assure smooth workflow.
- Manages Pathology Assistants’ daily activities and assigned functions in collaboration with Chief Pathologist and other applicable department leadership.
- Ensures available, adequate and reliable expertise exists within each functional area to maintain Best Practice and Standard of Care for applicable services.
- Collaborates with other laboratory and hospital departmental leadership to assure smooth processes and superior patient care.
- Ensures compliance, within areas of responsibility, of standards set forth by government agencies, JCI and other appropriate regulatory agencies.
- Conducts departmental meetings and assures appropriate departmental communication.
- Demonstrates excellence by promoting quality processes maintains a positive outlook and strives for continuing quality improvement.
- Coaches, mentors and develops direct and indirect reports.
- Ensures adequate staffing levels within defined budgetary and productivity limits.
- Maintains implements, adheres to and enforces departmental operating policies and procedures for all programs including: quality control, quality assurance, patient experience and life safety.
- Collaborates with the Human Resource Department to assure fair and equitable hiring, performance management and termination activities.
- Provides leadership, guidance and direction during staff interview and hiring processes.
- Provides leadership, guidance and direction during staff disciplinary processes
- Assists the Lab Administrative Director with identifying and developing departmental goals and objectives that support and reinforce the mission and vision of Reading Hospital.
- Assists the Lab Administrative Director in project development and prioritization that ensures support of the Tower Health System Strategic Plan.
- Assists the Lab Administrative Director in the development of department budgets.
- Monitors department expense and leads cost containment and reduction activities.
- Provides appropriate analytics to justify new services, maintain competitive advantage and customer retention.
- Maintains a high standard of courtesy and cooperation in dealing with co-workers and customers.
- Assumes Administrative Director responsibilities when deemed necessary.
- Serves on hospital and laboratory committees as requested.
- Communicates in a clear, concise and credible manner to secure the understanding of the established vision and strategies through positive interaction with individuals.
- Performs other duties as assigned.